Saturday, January 24, 2009

This week targetting.... handkerchiefs

I confess I've been reading Flylady and in that spirit I thought I'd spend fifteen minutes on my scarf/belt drawer. I've ironed the scarves, thought about whether I really should keep belts in there AND all the little soft handbags. It is only a small drawer, after all, and the scarves get all scrunched up with all that other stuff. Some of the larger scarves get hung on special E shaped hangers in the wardrobe, but I don't find that very successful really.

The little handbags have been moved. I'm mulling over the belts. Over the last few weeks I've been keeping the inner tubes from toilet rolls and using those to store smaller rolled scarves in.

Today I'm getting a little more holistic and thought I'd attack it properly. There are fifteen handkerchiefs in there (handkerchieves?) in various states of scrunchdom. So I got them all out and ironed them. There are about four pretty lacy ladylike embroidered ones. There are four or five souvenier ones in garish colours with pictures of kangaroos and koalas and Brisbane buildings. Where did they come from? There are several that might have belonged to my daughter a zillion years ago - a blue gingham teddy bear holding balloons, a duck wheeling a bunny in a barrow. There are a couple of nondescript and quite pretty florals.

What am I going to do with them? Keep them? Put one in my handbag as a ladylike accessory? Is a used handkerchief any more or less disgusting than a used tissue gradually decomposing in one's handbag? Is washing and ironing a hanky more or less ecological than disposing of a tissue? What is the ick factor about using a cloth hanky to blow one's nose? It is years since I have done so.

On the principle of use-it-or-lose-it I am going to put one hanky in my handbag and see whether I use it. I am going to put the others in an accessible place until I see how I feel about using a cloth hanky.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Found your blog from etatters....

    In the hankies vs. tissues thing, I like both, but a hanky stuffed in a pocket is so much easier to grab ina hurry to cover a sneeze! (Yes, I get hayfever). I tend to have those little tissue packs in the handbag for emergencies, but...even if you don't use the hankie, you can whack some tatting on the edge and use it for "show and tell" (only when it's clean, of course!!)

    Happy tatting,

    Cas. =)

    ReplyDelete