Friday, August 31, 2012

Hawaii again

It is time for the blog/trip diary to be dusted off again, as I sit on the plane bound for Hawaii. Last year we went to Darwin to escape the winter weather, but it is time for Hawaii again.

Michael and I are flying toward each other. We boarded our respective planes at almost exactly the same time, he in Omaha and me in Sydney. He thought that as we were going to Hawaii he might take two weeks extra and go to Hastings to visit his mother, and do a little research. I stayed home and looked after mother and the pug. We texted each other until we both boarded. Both of us are in the air as I type this.

It was an eventful day for me, trying to get everything done. Sheree is staying in the house to look after Majic, and I wanted things to be nice for her. Early in the morning I noticed that the hot tub was leaking from one of its pipes, so I called the tub people. Alex talked me though wrestling the pipes undone, to discover that where there ought to have been an O ring, there was none. He phoned around the spa shops to find that a shop in Kingsford had them, so I set off with the just-bathed pug (no, he didn't get bathed in the hot tub) to get them. Mission successful, but on my way home a woman in a car near an intersection reversed as I was passing her. I swerved very quickly but she caught my rear left fender, then blamed me! Only paint damage. It is one of my fears that I will have a car accident the day I have to leave for an overseas trip, and this was it. It could have been worse. I checked the road rules online and I am pretty sure it was her fault. Reversing a car must be done only when safe, and it obviously was not. Anyway, Majic and I had a romp in the park, then we got home and I fixed the tub's leak. Then I got in, just to make sure it was OK.

Everything got done, and as noted above, I am now on the plane, and have just had some dinner. Not bad food, I have to say. Hawaiian Airlines isn't too bad. Flying economy as I think this is a short flight at just under ten hours. My seat mate is an Amazonian basketball player returning home to Hawaii. She hardly moved a muscle while I twitched and fidgeted the entire way

I am anxious about immigration in the US, given my seeming lack of fingerprints. What will happen this time? Last time it took me ages to get through and I had to go through secondary identification. We await with interest and will report.

Man, ten hours seems like an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment