Monday, July 25, 2005

The beginnings of a tatted tablecloth...

Here is a piece of tatting I tend to carry with me when I travel. It is called Patchwork, and comes from Mary Konior's book Tatting with Visual Patterns. Tatting is great to travel with. It is small, it is light. I have a plastic shuttle for working with, so I can carry it on a plane. You don't need a hook, the shuttle I use has a pointy tip for pulling picots through. You are allowed to carry tweezers on planes. These are essential when you have made a mistake and have to unpick rings. Thank you Mary K for teaching me how to do that - it is impossible to unpick rings if you don't know this trick.

Will it end up tablecloth size? I have other pieces of work that haven't made it - bits of crochet and such. I guess I'll have to do a lot more travelling. Did I really say that? Don't I spend enough time on aeroplanes and waiting in airports?

And now for something completely different. It is always a bit of a lucky dip when my husband goes to the video shop. He tends to return with black and white submarine movies made in 1956. Bloke movies. He has a theory that the video shop gets only one or two copies of interesting things, rather than the many shelves full of the latest Hollywood monstrosities. This has resulted in some interesting choices. A couple have become firm favourites. Tais Toi, with Gerard Depardieu and Jean Reno. The hilarious Wasabi with Jean Reno See IMDB review . A couple of nights ago he came home with another winner - Bubba Ho-Tep. Yep, you got it. But wait, there's more. You wanted to know the real story about Elvis? About JFK? It is all here in this movie. Since seeing it, Bubba Ho-Tep has become a stock phrase of ours. We are now referring to Jonty as Pugga Ho-Tep. Don't just take my word for it, the IMDB reviews agree with us. It will become one of our regular borrowings, along with the two Jean Reno movies, Men in Black I and II, and Galaxy Quest.

Over and out for today, heaps to do.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the reviews for Bubba Ho-Tep - was it really that good?? I may have to sneak it in at the video shop....

    Great blog too :) You'll get the sewing machine back ... eventually!

    ReplyDelete