Friday, June 20, 2014

Dublin Day 3: 15,317 steps

The day started before six again, and this time we knew there was not going to be breakfast out there until later. I made coffee (we always travel with Illy and a couple of in-cup filters) and we ate cherries and blueberries and pink lady apples. That will tide us over. Michael didn't want to go far as today was his conference day. After showers and coffee went out to a nearby shopping mall, the St. Stephen's Green, where Michael had more coffee and a croissant, I had a scone with jam. He went back to his conference duties, and I went out to entertain myself. While at the Museum yesterday I missed seeing the bog bodies, so I decided to go back. I also wanted some photos of the wonderful building, particularly the tiled door surrounds. It being too early for the Musum to be open yet, I went for a stroll in St. stephen's Green. Rather different from our local St.Stephen's, it was quiet and peaceful. Some lovely flowers, and a nice memorial to women's emancipation.

From there I walked up Kildare Street and couldn't resist popping in to Cleo's, a knitting and weaving shop. Beautiful goods, but I truly don't need any more thick cardigans or woolly shawls. Sigh. Then across the street to the Museum, where I did get some pictures of the tiled door surrounds, and I did see the bog bodies and thought about how they were alive and young once.

I wanted to see the Museum of Decorative Arts, and it seemed too far to walk so I hopped onto the green tourist bus again, as my ticket was still valid. It took me around the city again, with all the same patter. Example 1: the man who invented the crossword puzzle is buried here - two across and three down. Example 2: the man who came up with the hokey pokey is buried here. It took a long time to bury him. They put his left foot in......

I finally made it to the Collins Barracks where the museum is housed. I wasn't disappointed. Wonderful place. I didn't see enough lace, but some. I wanted to see Irish Crochet as it is very distinctive. A terrific display of What We Wore. Some lovely Irish cottage furniture. A great location.

I couldn't face more patter on the roundabout bus trip back, so I walked back to the hotel.

Across the James Joyce Bridge. Past James Joyce House of the Dead. My goodness, this city adores JJ. If you had no interest you might be forgiven for thinking there is rather too much of him. I am 8% through Ulysses so am immersed.

I rendezvoused with Michael who was pleased with his conferencing, mainly that it was over. We went for another stroll around town, and the park. I tried to persuade him to go to Cleos to buy a €400 jacket/cardigan but he was reluctant. We had soup and sandwich at Peter's pub, and a cup of tea. We went to the Mackintosh shop and looked at superb raincoats. Michael could be persuaded, maybe. If the sleeves are long enough. He will ponder that question later. We returned to our room and rested for the afternoon.

In the evening we had tickets for a play called Moll, at the Gaiety Theatre. Our seats were right up the top, in this wonderful old theatre. The seats, however, must have been designed not long after the Irish Famine and Michael had a time getting in and out of them. In economy class air seats he often removes the magazine to give that extra sliver of leg room. This time it was his coat and everything in his pockets. It was a fun play, quintessentially Irish. We missed a lot of the dialogue, being colloquial Irish, but the ladies behind us got every joke, every nuance, and cackled loudly. It was great. The story was of three priests and their housekeeper, the eponymous Moll. Later the bishop appeared, played by Father Ted. A much loved actor, judging by the applause greeting his entry.

Home by 9.45. A quick snack of some salad we had bought earlier in the day. Lights out around eleven. We are adjusting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment